BMEGG Research Rotation System
Research Rotation Structure:
The length of rotation (5 weeks or 10 weeks), specific research project, learning objectives, tasks and deliverables, and expected weekly time commitment will be established and agreed upon by the student and the principle investigator (PI). A Research Rotation Agreement detailing this information will be signed by the student and the PI prior to the start of the rotation. Students should arrange rotations for the Fall Quarter prior to the start of classes, and Winter rotations should be scheduled at least one month prior to the start of Winter Quarter. Academic advisors and the graduate group coordinator will assist students with finding potential labs and arranging rotations.
Research Rotation Products and Feedback:
Students should complete the rotation deliverables as agreed in the Research Rotation Agreement (examples: a short rotation summary (~2 pages) to the PI or a short presentation about their rotation work in the host lab). The student and the PI should meet to provide feedback on the rotation experience and assess the potential for that student to match with the lab/PI for their Ph.D. research. When a student ultimately matches with a lab/PI, the student and PI will sign a Mentoring Agreement that details the plan for financial support.
Planning Research Rotations:
- Talk with many professors in areas of your interest
- Match “type” of research and available projects to your skills and interests
- Ask about expectations, papers, conferences, professional development, internships, completion time, financial support (mostly GSR, TA, and external fellowship after Winter Quarter)
- Talk to other students
- Determine rotation time, length, and expectations
- Complete Research Rotation Agreement and submit it to the Graduate Advisor and Graduate Program Coordinator
Research Rotation Timeline:
- Establish rotations and complete Research Rotation Agreements for Fall Quarter by September 15.
- Establish rotations and complete Research Rotation Agreements for Winter Quarter by December 1.
- Determine Major Professor and complete Mentoring Agreement by the end of Winter Quarter, March 15.